A New Writing Book!
Deborah Halverson, my friend, young adult book writer, fellow San Diegan, mother of triplets, AND editor (she is one amazing lady) is launching her new book Writing Young Adult Fiction For Dummies® today. It officially hits stores on July 5, but during her seven day launch she is doing LOTS of great things to celebrate! Like free critiques! Free is always good! : )
As a grand finale, on the final day of the launch she is giving away a FULL manuscript edit!!
I have not read this book yet but I'm told it is filled with the following:
- tips for targeting an audience, finding an angle that’ll make the story stand out, and writing a killer hook
- an extensive chapter on self-marketing to help writers move boldly into the realm of self-promotion
- techniques and exercises to shape plot, create teen-friendly characters, develop a convincingly youthful voice, write natural dialogue, and use setting to illuminate characters and plot
- 13 National Book Award winners and finalists, Newbery medalists and honorees, and other award-winning luminaries sharing their insights
- self-editing tools to transform a first draft into a strong submission-ready final draft
- insider tips for finding the right agent and/or editor and preparing a stand-out submission package
- answers to common book contract questions
- advice on self-publishing for YA writers
I am a writing bookaholic. I love reading about different approaches and ways of tackling writing so I can't wait to add this one to my collection--especially since it's about writing young adult books.
So get thee over to her site if you're a writer--or want to be a writer! I hope you win one of the free critiques!
**I wrote one of those sidebars! : ) I had written a piece on writer's block for a blog and Deborah liked it so much she asked if I could tweak it a bit so she could use if for a sidebar. Of course! I was honored.